How to claim your business on Google
When it comes to online business listings, there can be no doubting the fact that Google is the places to be. That is one of the major reasons why so many businesses have been, over the past few years, moving to claim their businesses on the platform. If this is something that you have not already done, then claiming your business’ profile on Google is something that you need to seriously think about. But, how do you claim your business on Google and what are some of the benefits of claiming your business on Google?
What is Google My Business?
Before digging into how you go about claiming your business on Google, it’s important for us to first define exactly what Google my Business is. You may know that Google provides a number of services, the best known of which are Search and Maps.
What Google my Business is, is simply a platform that allows you to manage information about your business across these multiple Google products.
What does it mean to claim a business on Google?
The thing to remember is that Google my Business is an absolutely free service. Claiming a business on Google simply means you are taking ownership of the information that is displayed with regard to that particular business, such as addresses, business hours and much more information. Note here that a business can appear on Google for simple reason that its customers have left reviews on the platform. Claiming the business gives your ownership of your business, allowing you to post information that is both accurate and up to date.
Why claim your business on Google
So, why is it so important for you to claim your business on Google?
- Google is where your customers live. This may seem like an exaggeration, but, as the world’s largest search engine, Google is probably how the people who you hope to do business with can find you.
- Google Search and Google Maps are some of the most popular Google products around the world. Making sure that your business receives prominent on these platforms is, therefore, a good way through which you can increase your online visibility and, by extension, generate more revenue.
- Google has over the past few years, been giving prominent to local search results for local queries. What this means is that people in various parts of the world are likely to see different results for the same search, depending on what they are looking for. Local businesses, such as restaurants and cafes, therefore need to have their businesses listed on Google in order for them to have visibility on local searches.
- A large chunk of the searches that are carried out around the world, 97%, are for local products and services. Yet only 37% of the businesses that are out there have bothered to claim their businesses on Google. Claiming your business is, therefore, a good way through which you can stay ahead of the pack as far as online visibility is concerned.
How to Claim your Business on Google
In order to claim your business on Google, all that you need to do is the following;
- The first thing that you need to do in order to claim your business on Google My Business is create an account in Google My Business. If your business has already been listed, then you need to get access.
- Go to Google My Business and sign up. Signing up on the platform is free.
- Look for your business using either its name or its address.
- If someone else has already verified your business, there are several things that you can do to request ownership from the current owner of the listing. In order to do this, all that you need to do is follow the instructions in the provided link.
- Should your business not be on the list of the businesses that appear when you carry out your search, the next thing that you need to do is create a new listing.
- If you have searched for and have found your business, and if it has not already been claimed by someone else, click on the “Submit,” button to claim your business in Google.